As the stresses of life, the world and being an entrepreneur weigh heavily at times, I’ve become really interested in the way that live and trapped energy can affect the body, mind and essential needs of the healing process. Over the last five years I’ve had success with modalities like acupuncture + ayurveda during my worst Lyme days, and as I try to manage some symptoms of flare ups and improper stress management, I’ve come to discover other techniques like gua sha, sound baths and chakra work. It’s fascinating to me the incredible results you can get from various forms of energy work, and I wanted to share more with you!
What is energy healing?
Energy work is deeply rooted in various ancient traditions and belief systems that recognize the interconnectedness of the mind, body, and spirit. This is meant to help restore energy balance and support the improvement of overall health and wellness.
Common Examples of Energy Healing Practices
While energetic practices have diverse origins, they share a common thread: the concept that life force energy, often referred to as chi, prana, or qi, flows through the body. A few of the most well-known energy work traditions:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM): TCM emphasizes the balance and flow of qi, which affects health and well-being. Acupuncture and acupressure including Gua sha, are TCM practices to help unblock energy channels, restore balance and alleviate health issues.
- Ayurveda: An ancient Indian practice of Ayurveda focuses on balancing the body's doshas, with the belief that imbalances can affect both physical and mental health. You can see our previous Ayurveda post for more information.
- Reiki: A Japanese energy healing technique, Reiki helps promote relaxation and reduce stress by channeling healing energy through the hands of the practitioner.
- Chakras: In various spiritual and energy work traditions, chakras are believed to be spinning wheels of energy located along the body's central axis from head to toe. Balancing these chakras is thought to improve overall well-being.
- Add sound bath
Why is Solara, a sunscreen company, so interested in energy work?
Rooted in my own healing journey with Lyme, the fascination in integrative techniques has long been a part of my wellness journey, including a unique approach to skincare formulation that harnesses the power of clinically proven holistic, ancient ingredients and practices for the promotion of healing, blood flow and, you guessed it, defense. Combined with scientific proof, these are critical elements to help protect the skin (and body) from cell damaging, prematurely aging environmental elements.
In recent years, the principles of healing energy work have made their way into the world of skincare and the results are speaking for themselves! There are a few important benefits of incorporating these philosophies into your own routines:
- Improved Circulation: Common techniques include facial massage, gua sha, and acupressure to help stimulate blood flow and lymphatic drainage in the face. This increased circulation helps to deliver oxygen and essential nutrients to the skin cells, promoting a healthy complexion. More to come on the Gua Sha front soon!
- Stress Reduction: Reducing stress is a fundamental aspect of energy work. By incorporating relaxation techniques into your skincare routine, you can help alleviate stress, which is well known to negatively impact skin health.
- Increased Product Efficacy: When you use energy work techniques in conjunction with skincare products, you can enhance the absorption and effectiveness of your products. This can lead to better results in terms of hydration, firmness, and overall skin health.
- Rejuvenation: Energy work can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by promoting collagen production and increasing the elasticity of the skin.
- Emotional Well-being: As energy work is deeply holistic, intertwined with emotional and mental health to help alleviate stress and promote a sense of calm. This emotional balance can manifest in a radiant complexion.
Energy work in skincare offers a unique approach to achieving radiant, healthy skin by considering the mind-body connection and incorporating ancient practices into modern beauty routines. By balancing energy, reducing stress, and promoting circulation a holistic approach to skincare can help enhance not only your skin but your overall well-being. So, the next time you pamper yourself, don't forget to infuse some energy work into your skincare routine for that extra, natural glow!